November 15-16, 2017 Commission Meeting
To view this information as a pdf, click here:COMTA Actions – November 2017
The Commission on Massage Therapy Accreditation (COMTA) has concluded its November 15-16, 2017 Commission meeting. By action of the Commission, the following schools have received:
Renewal of Programmatic Accreditation – October 2017 – October 2024
- Community College of Baltimore County Therapeutic Massage Program (Baltimore, MD)
- Elgin Community College Massage Therapy Program (Elgin, IL)
- National University of Health Sciences Massage Therapy Program (Lombard, IL)
Renewal of Institutional Accreditation – October 2017 – October 2024
- New Hampshire Institute for Therapeutic Arts (Hudson, NH; Bridgton, ME)
Deferral of Renewal of Accreditation
- Educating Hands (Miami, FL)
The Commission defers the decision for renewal and extends the grant of accreditation until April 2018 to allow the school time to provide additional evidence of compliance.
- Institute for Therapeutic Massage (Haskell, Tinton Falls, Bloomfield, NJ)
The Commission continues the probation placed July 2017 for failure to demonstrate compliance with the Standards for Faculty Qualifications & Supervision, Financial Stability, and Title IV Satisfactory Approval, as well as closing a branch location without prior notification.
- Potomac Massage Training Institute (Silver Spring, MD)
The Commission places the institute on probation for failure to demonstrate financial stability per COMTA Standards and Guidelines.
Notice of Branch Closure:
- Institute for Therapeutic Massage (Hackensack, NJ)
The Commission acknowledges the notification made on November 1, 2017 that the institute closed its branch campus in Hackensack, New Jersey on August 24, 2017. Students were transitioned to the other locations which remain operational.
Notice of Program Closure, Teach-Out Plan Approval:
- University of Western States – Massage Therapy Program (Portland, OR)
The Commission approved the Teach-Out Plan for the university’s decision to close its massage program, effective March 23, 2018. All current students will be allowed to graduate, and the university will remain open for all records.
Please note: Renewal schools placed on show cause, probation or deferral are considered accredited institutions.
For questions or additional information, please contact the COMTA office at email@example.com or 202-888-6790.