To view this information as a pdf, click the link: COMTA Alerts – July 2015
The Commission on Massage Therapy Accreditation (COMTA) would like to bring your attention to the following announcements discussed at the July 21, 2015 meeting:
Revised Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation – Approved
The Commission approved revisions to its bylaws and articles of incorporation to reflect the addition of the new COMTA Endorsed Curriculum status.
- Article I, Section 1.2: Removed reference to the Illinois office
- Article II, Section 2.1: Added endorsed curriculum status to member identity
- Article VI, Section 6.1: Amended language on creation of task forces and ad hoc committees (semantics only, no content change)
Articles of Incorporation changes:
- Included esthetics and endorsed curriculum to COMTA’s charge
Click here to view the new Bylaws.
Revised Policy and Guidelines Documents – Ratified
The Commission ratified four new policy/guideline appendices after a Call for Comment period. The following new policy/guidelines are in effect as of July 21, 2015.
- Student Outcomes Tracking Policy
- Distance Education Guidelines
- Competency Chart Aligned with ELAP Outcomes
- Entry-Level Analysis Project (ELAP) Summary of Learning Outcomes Aligned with COMTA Competencies (included in previous document)
Click here to access these and all of COMTA’s accreditation policies, procedures, and forms.
Revised Peer Reviewer Qualifications and Application – Approved
The Commission approved new peer reviewer qualification and application form to align with the revised standards (effective January 2015). The new application form is effective immediately for any new reviewers. The new specialist qualifications and team compositions will go into effect for the fall 2015 site visit cycle.
Click here to access the new application document.
Commissioner Term Extension
Per COMTA bylaws (Article III, Section 3.2), the Commission voted to extend the Commissioner terms expiring June 2016 for one year to allow time to redistribute the amount of position vacancies occurring simultaneously. This extra year will allow for a balanced number of Commissioners to stand for election and contribute to Commission stability.
The new term expiration for the eight Commissioners below is currently set for June 2017.
- Dawn Hogue – Administrator
- Jeff Harmon – Public Member
- Patricia Maloney – Public Member
- Randy Swenson – Educator
- Beverley Giroud – Massage Practitioner
- Lisa Helbig – Administrator
- Christine Kiely-Granstaff – Massage Practitioner
- Dale Healey – Educator
Be sure to check the COMTA website regularly for actions and alerts. The Commission updates all pertinent actions and alerts on its website.
For additional information concerning this memorandum, please contact Kate Zulaski, Executive Director, at 202-688-6790 x101, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also email the chair of the Commission at email@example.com.