To view as PDF, click here.
The Commission on Massage Therapy Accreditation (COMTA) would like to bring your attention to the following announcements discussed at the March 19 – 21, 2014 meeting:
- Eligibility Criteria Change: The Commission has revised two of the eligibility criteria for programs and institutions who wish to apply for accreditation:
a. Changed the requirement of twenty graduates of the longest program to read “a minimum of five (5) enrolled students in each program applying for accreditation.”
b. Remove the requirement that “institution/program must have been in continual operation for a period of at least two years.”
Prospective applicants should note that graduates and subsequent completion and placement data remain a requirement for accreditation, but an application may be initiated much sooner. These changes are reflected in the revised Policies & Procedures Manual found here.
- Accreditation Grant Length Change: The Commission reviewed public comment data and voted to ratify the change of accreditation grant length from five (5) years to seven (7) years. The new grant length is effective for all accreditation decisions made on or after March 19, 2014. Accreditation grant changes are not retroactive, but will be applied for each program or institution upon renewal.
- Initial Application Consultation Visit Fee Revision: The Commission voted to make the initial application consultation visit optional for initial applicants. Institutions/programs electing for an onsite one-day consultation visit by COMTA staff will now be required to pay all applicable travel expenses in addition to the application fee. This change is reflected in the revised Fee Schedule found here.
- Bylaws Revision: The bylaws have been revised to expand the types of positions allowed on the Commission, and to allow some positions to be appointed rather than elected by the currently accredited members. This revision creates two new positions: Distinguished Contributor and Regulator. The two new positions as well as the Public Member positions will be by appointment. This will increase perspective on the Commission and allow for a full Commission even when few nominations are submitted. The changes are reflected in the revised Bylaws Document found here.
- Commission Positions: The Commission is pleased to announce the following individuals serving the Commission for new terms:
a. Chair: Chair Randy Swenson declined re-nomination. Commissioner Dawn Hogue accepted the nomination and unanimous Commission vote to serve as new Chair. Term expires April 2016.
b. Employer Position: Commissioner CG Funk received the Nominating Committee’s recommendation to run for re-election. No other nominations were submitted thus Ms. Funk assumes the role. Her term expires 2018.
c. Distinguished Contributor: Under new bylaw rules, the Commission appointed Cliff Korn to serve in the new Distinguished Contributor position following the completion of his term as a Practitioner. Mr. Korn’s term expires 2018.
- Open Commission Positions: The Commission is accepting nominations for the following positions:
a. Esthetics Practitioner
c. Public Member or Distinguished Contributor
Please see the Elections and Appointments section of the website for details.
Be sure to check the COMTA website regularly for actions and alerts. The Commission updates all pertinent actions and alerts on its website. Please promptly inform COMTA if your school/program has any new contact information.
If you have comments regarding any of the schools on this list please contact the COMTA office. For additional information concerning this memorandum, please contact Kate Zulaski, Executive Director, at 202-895-1518 x.849, or via email at email@example.com. You may also email the chair of the Commission at firstname.lastname@example.org.